Our senior pastor was provided a Sabbatical throughout the summer (2014). The links below are his various reports. Simply click on that link to read the report. The sabbatical began on May 13, and ended September 9.
During the pastor’s absence we were pleased to have the following pastors who preached the Word of God: Peter Kyhn, Robert Ricker, Dave Gallagher, Herb Dominquez, Joseph Myers, and Lee McDonald.
Sabbatical PowerPoint (in pdf) that was presented on Sunday evening Sept. 21. The report of Sept. 14 was mostly pictures.
|May 2014||June 2014||July 2014 A||July 2014 B||August 2014|
|First Report||2nd Report||3rd Report||4th Report||Fifth Report|
The purpose of a sabbatical is to provide our pastor “spiritual and ministry renewal for him and for the church in light of the nature of ministry today which can bring stress and burnout.” (PWCC Policy document on Pastoral Sabbaticals). A sabbatical should accomplish:
- Study and enhancement of skills and abilities to strengthen the pastor and the church.
- Educational enrichment through reading, classes, and personal study to strengthen professional skills.
- Pastoral mentoring/counseling or retreat opportunities to deepen the spiritual and emotional life of the pastor and his wife.
- Deepening of family relationships, enjoyment of hobbies and energizing activities.
Our Diaconate has generously provided a three month sabbatical leave not counting the vacation time. The plans and schedule were approved for this summer (2014) and the funding for the sabbatical also includes preaching supply during the pastor’s absence.
Briefly, Pastor Schipul’s sabbatical includes the following:
- Learning from leaders and churches doing effective ministry to senior adults and baby boomers
- Experiencing two retreats for pastors
- Attending the Missions Conference at Green Lake, Wisconsin, including a seminary level course on Missions.
- Time with family and friends, hiking, resting, reading, and spiritual formation