Stephen Ministry is a lay caring ministry at Palm West Community Church. We reach out to one another in a time of need.
We currently have three (3) Stephen Ministry Leaders and twenty (20) Stephen Ministers at Palm West Community Church who minister to people in grief or transition, experiencing loneliness or depression, facing death, or struggling with faith issues.
Stephen Ministries was founded in 1975 by Rev. Kenneth C. Haugk, Ph.D. to train lay people to provide quality, one-to-one Christian care to individuals experiencing a life crisis. Today, more than 10,000 congregations representing more than 150 Christian denominations are enrolled in the Stephen Ministry program. More than 500,000 laypersons have been trained as Stephen Ministers, who in turn have ministered to more than a million care receivers. Click here to learn more.
If You Need Stephen Minister
Please contact us and we will set up a visit to determine how our Stephen’s Ministry can help you. Click here and let us know your situation and someone will be in contact with you or you can call the church office at 623-546-2980.
If You Want to Become a Stephen Minister
This ministry seeks people who feel called to this kind of one-on-one caring ministry and offers a training class each year. Members are also encouraged to contact our Stephen Ministry when they might benefit from a relationship with a caring friend to help them through a difficult time. Call or email the Church Office and we will forward it to our Stephens Ministry Leader.
Stephen Ministers are “The After People”
When others have moved on, Stephen Ministers are there:
- After you’ve washed and returned the last casserole dish.
- After the divorce papers have been served and the bottom falls out of your life.
- After you arrive home following the funeral service and emotions you’ve held at bay come crashing in on you.
- After the doctors have said, “There is nothing more we can do.”
- After the phone call you always hoped you’d never get.
- After the nursing home director shakes your hand and says, “Don’t worry. We’ll take care of your …husband…wife.”
- After the baby has arrived, putting more demands on you than you ever dreamed possible.
- After your friends start to avoid you because they can’t bear your grief anymore.
- After you’ve lost your job and don’t have the energy to even get dressed in the mornings.
Stephen Ministers are “The After People”. We are ready to come alongside you – or your friends, neighbors, coworkers, or relatives – and provide comfort and support for as long “after” as we are needed. Stephen Ministers are trained to care, encourage and pray, and most of all, to be there to listen. Everything shared with a Stephen Minister is kept strictly confidential.
For Stephen Ministers
Click HERE to go to the online SM Visit Report Form
To download and print a copy of the SM Visit Report Form, click HERE.
Absentee FollowUp Report Form HERE